Hostgator is one of the oldest web hosting companies in the industry. It is still offering one of the best services. It is a great choice if you are looking for shared hosting and you are new to web management. It offers a one-year free domain and SSL certificate. Interestingly, its basic plan comes with unlimited bandwidth and storage. They offer shared web hosting, VPS web hosting, dedicated web hosting, cloud web hosting and WordPress web hosting plans. This is a review of Hostgator web hosting.
Hostgator's Shared Web Hosting
In shared web hosting, multiple websites share server resources. This kind of hosting is usually not very secure and when one website has a traffic surge, other websites may slow down. However, it is the most popular hosting and it is the cheapest.
The shared web hosting has three plans:
- Hatchling plan. It offers one website hosting, a one-year free domain and SSL certificate, unmetered bandwidth and WordPress transfer. It costs $2.75 per month.
- Baby plan. It can host unlimited websites and offers unmetered bandwidth, a one-year free domain and an SSL certificate. You also get free WordPress installation and cPanel website transfer. It costs $3.50 per month.
- Business plan. It can host unlimited websites and comes with a one-year free domain and SSL certificate, free dedicated IP, and free SEO tools. You also get a one-click WordPress installation that comes with cPanel website transfer. It costs $5.25 per month.
Read also: A2 Hosting review.
Hostgator's VPS Web Hosting
The Virtual Private Server (VPS) web hosting offers some more resources compared to the shared hosting. It allows multiple but fewer websites to share the server resources. It is more secure and offers higher performance compared to shared web hosting.
Hostgator offers Linux-based VPS hosting in three plans.
- Snappy 2000. It offers 2GB RAM, 2 cores CPU, 120 GB disk space and unmetered bandwidth. It costs $79.95 per month or $19.95 per month on a three-year prepayment plan.
- Snappy 4000. It offers 4 GB RAM, 2 cores CPU, 165 GB disc space and unmetered bandwidth. It costs $119.95 per month or $29.95 per month on a three-year prepayment plan.
- Snappy 8000. It offers 8 GB RAM, 4 cores CPU, 240 GB disc space and unmetered bandwidth. It costs $149.95 per month or $39.95 per month on a three-year prepayment plan.
Hostgator's Dedicated Web Hosting
A dedicated web hosting is a kind of hosting where a website uses a single server by itself. It is expensive but it gives more control and it is more secure. It is a great option if your website has a lot of traffic. Hostgator dedicated web hosting offers 1TB SSD storage, 32GB RAM and unlimited data transfers. Luckily, Hostgator’s dedicated web hosting is available for both Linux and Windows, unlike most web hosting companies that lack Windows-based dedicated servers.
Hostgator’s Cloud Web Hosting
Hostgator offers cloud web hosting plans, where your website needs are shared across different servers. Your website can utilize multiple server resources and if one server fails, it can operate using the rest. Hostgator offers three could web hosting plans.
- Hatchling plan. It offers a free SSL certificate and domain, 2GB RAM, 2 core CPU and unlimited data. It costs $12.95 monthly or $4.95 per month on a three-year prepayment plan.
- Baby plan. It offers a free SSL certificate and domains, 4GB RAM and 4 cores CPU. It costs $13.95 monthly or $6.57 on a three-year repayment plan.
- Business plan. It offers unlimited domains, 6GB RAM, free SSL certificate and unlimited domains, dedicated IP and free SEO tools. It costs $19.95 monthly or $9.95 per month on a three-year prepayment plan.
Read also: SiteGround web hosting reviews.
Hostgator’s WordPress Web Hosting
Hostgator has an impressive WordPress web hosting package that allows you to install a WordPress content management system.
It offers three packages.
- Starter plan. It can only host one WordPress website with up to 100,000 visits a month. It offers 50GB storage, unlimited email, 1GB backup, free domain and SSL certificate. It costs $14.95 monthly or $5.95 per month on a three-year prepayment plan.
- Standard plan. It can host two WordPress websites with up to 200,000 monthly visits. It offers 2 GB backups, free domain and SSL certificates. It costs $20.95 monthly or $7.95 per month on a three-year prepayment plan.
- Business plan. It can host up to three WordPress websites with 500,000 monthly visits. It offers a free domain and SSL certificate, 3 GB backups and unlimited storage space. It costs $27.95 monthly or $9.95 per month on a three-year prepayment plan.
Hostgator’s Reseller Web Hosting
If you want to start a web hosting business and you do not want to invest in the infrastructure, you can buy Hostgator’s reseller web hosting.
It has three plans:
- Aluminum plan. It offers 60 GB disk space, 600 GB bandwidth, unlimited websites and a free SSL certificate. It costs $19.95 per month.
- Copper plan. It offers 90 GB disk space, 900 GB bandwidth, unlimited websites and a free SSL certificate. It costs $24.95 per month.
- Silver plan. It offers 40 GB disk space, 1400 GB bandwidth, unlimited websites and a free SSL certificate. It costs $24.95 per month.
Pros of Using Hostgator Web Hosting
1. High Uptime of 99.93%
Hostgator has an average uptime of 99.93%. it is not the best in the industry but it will serve you well. The good thing is that they guarantee you uptime and if they fall below 99.90%, they give you one mot credit.
2. Fast Loading Speed
Hostgator offers an average loading speed of 857 ms. This is an improvement compared to earlier years when their loading speed was very slow. It not the best in the industry but it will serve you well without any hitches. Its loading speed will provide your visitors with the best visitor experience.
3. 45-Day Money-Back Guarantee
Hostgator offers a 45-day money-back guarantee. Unlike many other web hosting companies that offer 30 days money-back guarantee, this is a great deal. You get one month and a half to test their shared, reseller and VPS hosting plans. The dedicated web hosting plan does not have a money-back guarantee. Refunds are available for new signups only and not on renewals.
4. Excellent Customer Support
You can reach Hostgator’s customer support on phone, live chat and email. Customer support is available 24/7 and you get responses to your questions within a few minutes. Their live chat is fast and offers a better user experience.
5. Free Site Migrations
Unlike many other web hosting companies which charge to migrate, Hostgator has a free site migration. Once you sign up for a plan, you get 30 days to reach them to help you move your site. You will also get a full cPanel transfer regardless of the number of websites you are moving.
Cons of Using Hostgator Web Hosting
1. Extra Fees on Backups
The shared hosting plan has three packages and the Hatchling plan pricing starts at $2.75 per month. It can host one site and offers a free domain and SSL certificate. In the introductory pricing, you will note it is indicated that backup is available. However, it is not included in the introductory price and you will need to pay an extra fee.
2. High Monthly Pricing and Renewal Fees
Hostgator has extremely high monthly pricing compared to the annual pricing plans. To save in the long term, it is best to sign up for the annual plans rather than the monthly plans. The annual plans also offer a 45-day money-back guarantee. The renewal fees are also high and double the introductory prices. It means Hostgator is cost-effective in the short term before you start paying high fees.
Read also: Bluehost web hosting reviews.
Is Hostgator a Good Web Host?
Absolutely. Hostgator offers a one-year free domain and SSL certificate. In addition, it has free site migration that comes with a cPanel and free installation of website builders like WordPress or Joomla. You also get a 45-day money-back guarantee. Ultimately, Hostgator is a good web hosting company with page loading speed and uptime above average. The disadvantage is that renewal fees are usually high, almost double the introductory prices.